As well as combustible material, any fire must have heat and oxygen to sustain itself.
Halo uses water mist at high pressure to rapidly suppress both fire and smoke – the most common cause of death in house fires is inhalation of smoke and toxic fumes.
How does high-pressure water mist work?
As fine water droplets spread towards a fire, they quickly absorb heat energy, evaporating to form steam.
Steam has a dramatic cooling effect. As atomised water mist droplets expand 1600-1700 times, they absorb far more energy than water from a sprinkler.
At the same time, the steam displaces oxygen and combustible gases, starving the fire of another essential driver.
The combined effect is to smother the fire, cutting off its oxygen supply and cooling the combustible material and associated gases.
This buys vital life-saving time for people to escape. Fine water mist does not impede their evacuation.
Having controlled the fire, temperature and smoke, the water mist also prevents the fire from re-igniting.
Damage to property is limited further because of the comparatively low volume of water involved and the absence of the heavy run-off caused by a sprinkler system.
Where to use
High-pressure water mist has been proven to protect life and property in numerous applications.
With Halo we bring this technology into the home in an affordable and easy-to-install package.
- Whole of house – the most economical and unobtrusive way to protect an entire home and provide peace of mind
- Open plan and unorthodox layouts – secures building approval for loft conversions and modern living spaces without compromising design aesthetics or safety
- Less accessible properties –provides compensatory protection where a fire service vehicle will be more than 45m away
- Apartment blocks– protects individual flats and communal areas, even in properties over 18m high (where safety rules say a fire must be controlled for at least 30 minutes)
- Care homes & sheltered accommodation – enhances security where residents are vulnerable or pose a risk
- Rented properties, HMOs and B&Bs – helps landlords fulfil their statutory duties and protect their investment
- Heritage / listed buildings – achieves modern fire safety standards without damaging the structure’s fabric or appearance
- Refurbishment or new build – straightforward to retrofit in existing buildings, and simple to design and build into a new development